June 26, 2009

Calling writers

Here's a chance for essay writers:

Real Simple's Life Lessons Contest


When did you realize you had become a grown-up? Share your lesson and you could win. 1500 words or less.

And, hey, in that vein, how about a 100 word or less comment here on the same theme?

I'll start...

I had my own apartment, a salaried job, business cards and furniture that I had actually bought instead of inherited. Every morning I got dressed in business casual, blow-dried my hair and wore a watch. My shoes were not comfortable. I had my own liquor cabinet. But adulthood didn't hit me until I looked up one day and saw that all the pictures on my wall were framed-- not taped at the corners or hanging on for dear life from thumb tacks. Right there, childhood left me behind.

2 comments:

Kristen R Murphy said...

Thanks for the info! I might consider entering. Will you be entering? After WPSS, did you take another writing class? I seen a post awhile back. How did that go?

I knew I was grown-up (or it was time to grow up) when my parents separated during my senior year in high school. My baby sister was a year-old, and my SAHM had to go out and get a job therefore I helped raise my now 19-year-old baby sister. Life, as I knew it, was never the same.

CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley) said...

I've got to admit that even now I have moments when I don't feel like a grownup. I look at my daughter and think wow - I can barely keep my shoes tied, how am I going to take care of her? And how am I going to raise her to resist all the insecurities her mommy carries around?

but really, the first time i felt like an adult was when I finally got an apartment with its own washer and dryer in it. No more lugging laundry to the Sit and Spin, I could have clean clothes any time I wanted - no quarters required.