October 07, 2009

Day 2: clean eating challenge

It's Wednesday morning at 7, the house is still asleep (or at least not crawling in my lap asking for hot chocolate) and I'm drinking a big tall glass of water. WATER. Not delicious hot coffee with a splash of milk, the warm mug a comfort in my hand, but plain old H2O.

There's a change for you. The water part, 2 liters a day which translates to 2 cups at most meals, has been the hardest part of this whole challenge so far. I simply do not drink enough water, period. Sitting down and grabbing a cup of the stuff every time I eat feels weird and I've been ending up slamming it down AFTER I eat just to get in my quota. Even then, I'm still not getting all the clear goodness prescribed.

Two days d'eau, though, and I feel different. My skin feels less crackly, which in Colorado is akin to saying I don't feel very hot on the 4th of July. I've lost my 2 P.M. nap slouch, where I pretend to be meditating while Anna has her Sesame Street break. She's very sweet and has yet to mention the drool when I fall sideways on her during Elmo's World. This week, though, I've been okay. Not exactly Peppy McPepper, but still functional. Whether that's the water or the OTHER liquid side effect I just don't know.

Speaking of which, I have to pee. RIGHT NOW. It's hard to crash out for a nap when I am dashing to the bathroom every 20 minutes or so. Keeps me on my toes, friends. Well, and on my booty but let's not go there, right?

Actually, let's. As you may know, I've evolved in my acceptance of the less glorious human realities in the course of my marriage and the requirements of motherhood. Even so, I'm not so proud of this particular reality. This diet contains a lot of protein, a lot of fiber and a lot of fruits and vegetables. It's a change from my usual less-strict and spur of the moment style and there are... consequences. So far, no was has blamed me out right but I know it's me. That old junior high saying is proving true in our home this week... she who smelt it, dealt it. (Sorry, Kurt)

On that pleasant note, Day 2 in review:

I didn't have the spinach for breakfast, mine keeps going bad, which brings up the question, how do you make fresh produce last longer? I switched out a breakfast from later in the week and decided to move around some of the snacks and other meals, too. As long as it's on there, I figure it doesn't matter which day I eat it, right? So I had muesli with low-fat milk, sprinkled with flax seed. I haven't gone on to buy all the other supplements, like bee pollen-- it's too expensive, but that's for another day. THEN, on top of that, I had Ezekiel bread with organic peanut butter (again, almond butter is pricey) and, of course the water. And coffee. Big breakfast, I was extra-full.

Snacks were hummus and raw veg, tasted just fine (toot, toot!!) and later, almonds and an apple. Lunch threw me for a loop, but it wasn't gross, just not my idea of yum-- cottage cheese mixed with chopped apples and grapes, with two crisp bread crackers. Weird, but not bad, exactly.

Dinner was Cajun Shrimp Stir-Fry. I served the Kashi Whole Grain Pilaf on the side, it's a favorite, and the whole thing was delish!

Then, my sneaky treat, off-menu for sure. As you know, I have the wonderous Keurig machine and my order came yesterday with a box of Dark Hot Chocolate. I could not resist, so instead of my after-dinner popcorn, I had a steaming cup of yum. I feel no guilt! On to Day 3.

No comments: