December 26, 2010

Power of the pen


My friend and I have started writing letters again. You know, like, with pens. On PAPER. It's crazy stuff, actually. You write something, put it in an envelope with a stamp and an actual geographical address, take it to a mailbox (medium-sized blue thing, sort of looks like a trash can) and put it inside. Several DAYS later, it's delivered by hand to the other person.

DAYS. That's practically forever in our light speed universe. And you know what?

I love it! I love getting mail. It feels special somehow. It certainly makes the daily trek to the mailbox more exciting when you've a hope for actual correspondence instead of just credit card offers and grocery fliers.

Lisa sent me this picture on one of her letters and it's EXACTLY how I feel about our epistolary relationship (Get your mind out of the gutter and look it up! It's not vulgar! Well, mostly not... moving on.). Sure, email is fast and immediate and often immensely convenient. I use it every day and it keeps me close to people I don't get to see often anymore.

But a letter... there's just something WONDERFUL about getting a letter. So if you're in the mood to make a resolution this year, may I recommend an investment? Stationary, stamps and a comfy pen. Send a letter to someone every week, every month, whatever. You'll have fun doing it, I promise. You may just make someone's crappy day a little bit better at the sight of your handwriting mixed in with the post-holiday bills. Considering I have pretty awful script, that's a big deal indeed!

No comments: