July 27, 2011

8 years and it feels so good

Yesterday was my 8th wedding anniversary. Since we’re so new here, there was no chance at all of going out on our own, so we improvised a date night in. After the children were in bed, Kurt made delicious cedar plank salmon on the grill followed by a chocolate mousse dessert that I made all by myself from scratch. (Did I mention I made it? From scratch? Because I did.)

I usually put some effort into anniversaries and other special days, but this year I was just tired and I definitely fell short of my usual mark, not even getting Kurt a card. I did put on some make-up, made a nice dessert (from scratch!) and had the kids washed and in bed relatively early. My darling husband, though, brought home a present, a wonderful present. He got me a muddler.

In case you don’t know what this is, you’re not alone. I briefly thought it was some sort of stress-relief device, meant for bashing on things (though hopefully not people) until you feel better. In a way, that’s exactly right; it’s a heavy wooden mini-baseball bat looking thing you use to crush up the limes and mint in the glass for mohitos.

As many mohitos as it takes.

Didn’t I say he was darling? I love Kurt and I LOVE MY MUDDLER. The name says it all, really. After a long day of children, chores, heat and discovering someone hit your car in the parking lot (yup!) there’s nothing a woman needs more than some good... muddling.

Happy anniversary, sweetheart.

3 comments:

Trig said...

Happy Anniversary, you two. I miss you. And I do, in fact know what a muddler is. And trust me, I know how to use it!

grandmem said...

did you say "from scratch"? wow!

Lea said...

Congrats on 8 years! That is fantastic! And chocolate mousse from scratch?? Mucho impresivo, mi amiga!