November 08, 2011

One week in, one week WEAK

Oi VEY. I tell you what! So far November is not feeling so much like a friend to me.

Last week was a whirlwind of crazy with the kids sick on and off, Anna's birthday and Kurt out of town for a few days. While for the most part that's all standard operating procedure, I had kind of a hard time this year with Anna's birthday. It definitely took a toll on my motivation, not to mention my happiness factor.

Every year for many years we get together with our good friends Tryg and Charlotte Bundgaard (Trystan Photography), Jessica, their kids and my family. This year felt wrong, empty, and more than a little depressing. Anna's seven now and we spent her birthday night out at Red Robin, just me and the kids. I know she loved it (they sang to her, which she both liked and didn't because they didn't really sing loud enough), but being there without the company of friends... it was hard.

Still, she had a great birthday, has an actual party with her school friends coming up over the weekend and in general turned seven with a big ol' happy grin on her face. Me, not so much. But it is what it is, so I best be movin' on. *sniffle*

Nanowrimo is coming along, with an EXCEPTIONALLY shitty first draft if I do say so myself. I mean, in terms of awful writing, I'm top of the class. It's funny that instead of reveling in a feeling of freedom without the pressure to write anything worthwhile, I just feel grossed out by myself. It's hard to sit and type when every word from my fingertips is just ridiculously awful.

But I think I'm getting the hang of it. I even, just a few minutes ago, had a brief laugh out loud moment when I wrote a paragraph long sentence full of mixed metaphors, double negatives and seriously convoluted dialogue. So maybe by next week the full joy of the shittiness of it all will descend on me. I mean, where else in my life can I fully enjoy successful mediocrity? (Aside from laundry, which I've given up on ever accomplishing without several days from dryer to dresser. If that.)

Oh, look! My bad writing extravaganza has spread to my blog! WOOT! Now that is what I call skill-building.

How're my other Nano-ers pulling through? Have you cried yet today? I have! I think that means I'm doing something right.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You're making progress, that's what counts, right?

My Nano-story is going painfully slowly. I think it might be time for an alien invasion or for my main character to discover they can teleport... or something interesting....

Meg said...

I will admit that in the middle of paragraphs of bad prose I randomly put in sentences like, "I can't beleive how bad this is, you'd have to be drunk to even think it's funny oh well, moving on, once more into the breach and whatnot". The the drivel continues. Hey, it counts!
Alien invasion! So stealing that!