January 06, 2012

New Year is here, again! They just keep coming, don't they.

Knew you’d catch up with me, New Year.

As much as I’d like to skip the whole resolution, starting over, clean slate post, it’d feel like a big ol’ gap if I didn’t say at least something.

Something. Ha.

Okay, kidding aside, there is a certain appeal to January, isn’t there? All that fresh time ahead that you haven’t screwed up yet, it just feels so CLEAN. Last year, I made a resolution that came down to, basically, just paying more attention; to how I act, how I think, how I spend my time, how I interact with others. An eye-opener, indeed.

This year, my inspiration came from a variety of sources, though mostly from an enlightening conversation in Colorado with my friend Tiffany over the holiday (Tiffany is, in general, massively inspirational and enlightening). Instead of resolving to make changes, she simply chooses a word to guide her in the year to come.

One word, so many interpretations, possibilities, tangents and unknowns. LOVE IT. When I combined that idea with my navel-gazing of the past year, I came up with my own word and some ideas for putting it into action.

Intentional. That’s my word. I want to be more intentional with my time. I have found within myself a tendency to coast, get from A.M. to P.M. with the shortest amount of thought and then start all over again the next day. It’s not very flattering, I know.

So in 2012, I will be intentional. With that in mind, I’ve come up with some projects, small and large, concrete and abstract, to help me focus. The best part is you have something to show for it at the end, a happy little “Lookie here at what I did! Yay, me!”.

I’ll reel out the plans as they come, wouldn’t want to start making a big list and getting all overwhelmed. One thing at a time, in this moment. Intentionally.

What’s your word this year?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like this idea.

Lea said...

Love your word! I can relate to your coasting through the day thought. I had never really given that much thought, but yeah, I think I do that, too. Too bad we can't instead do mall playdates! :) Miss you!!